Saturday, November 12, 2011

Queen of the gypsies

Unfortunately I do not have fun 80s prom or Halloween stories to grab your attention with this week.  But it’s the final countdown until the end of the PT semester!
Calibrating the spirometer for our project (monitors
the participant's breathing)
 That being said I saved this particular aspect of the PT student aspect  to talk about our research project.  I am in a group with Kim, Ali, and Megan.  The whole class is put into groups of four and does a full blast research project during their 3 year curriculum, from getting approved by the IRB to presenting at the state convention….with the help of our faculty advisors.  Ours is Jean, who teaches the Exercise Physiology and Cardiovascular/Pulmonary classes in our program.  So our research topic is very fitting.
My group is looking at the role of the diaphragm on postural control when doing single leg squats.  We are look at whether a person can squat farther when inhaling, exhaling, or holding their breath.  Our hypothesis (based on other research), is that the participants will squat further when holding their breath.  We will start collecting our data at the start of next semester and we are excited to get this moving!
Most exciting about this week was that we received our CLINICAL ROTATION SITES!!!!!!  This girl is going to live the life of a gypsy wanderer starting in June and getting to live with some of my favorite people, which is exactly what I wanted.  I will be doing my three 9 week internships in the following locations:
·         Springfield, IL (outpatient)
·         Tulsa, OK (inpatient acute)
·         Sikeston, MO….just south of Cape Girardeau (pediatrics)
I am very excited to have these great opportunities!  Is it June yet?
No, no it is not.  What it is is the weekend before our last week of class (and lots of musculoskeletal II testing).    So while my Dad and some of my friends enjoy the opening week of rifle deer season in the state of Missouri, I will be tediously dissecting my notes and the spine to survive next week. 
Linds finally got her wedding pics in, and I mus say we cleaned up pretty nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment